I would consider myself a seasoned traveler [if the number of flights in the past two weeks [I think the # is somewhere around 6?] is any indicator, I’ve had my fair share of time on airplanes]. As I was putting away my luggage and travel bag a few days ago after returning home, I thought I’d share with you my travel ride or dies – the things that come with me no matter where I am going. Some of these are super practical – looking at you, ibuprofen, and some are things that simply make my time away more enjoyable [hello, pillow spray]. Regardless of where I’m going, these MVPs make the trip with me! Let’s meet the travel lineup, shall we?
- Mossio Hanging Toiletry Bag – I’m telling you, this makeup bag is awesome. I’ve owned mine for years [I use it every single day as it houses all of my makeup] and it goes on every single trip with me. It holds everything I need, hangs on the door at hotels if needed, and has stayed in perfect shape. Wherever I go, it comes. Oh, the places it’s seen!
2. Wet Ones Antibacterial Hand Wipes – I’ve been a Wet Ones fan well before COVID. You never know when you’re going to wish you had something to either clean up your hands [or your spills – I am a master wine spiller on airplanes] so always having a pack or two of these with me is crucial.
3. Liquid I.V. Hydration Multiplier – I always have a couple of these in my travel bag. Whether it’s after a night of too much fun, or if you’re unfortunate to come down with a stomach bug while on the road, these packets are a great way to stay hydrated and feeling your best while on the go. I just mix mine in a bottle of water and voila, done!
4. Passport Holder Cover Case – Now this I only use when traveling internationally and while it’s not a “necessity” it does make finding my dark passport so much easier in the bottom of my bag when it’s in this bright yellow holder. Plus, it just makes me happy.
5. It Ends with Us: A Novel – I can’t leave home without a good book. Now, whether or not I actually read said book on my trip is another story, but in the rare times I do I’m always happy I have one.
6. 2022 Apple 10.9-inch iPad – Why may I not read said book you ask? Because of this guy right here. This is how I stay entertained on every flight I am on. Thanks to Netflix and Amazon Prime I download any show [currently hooked on The Circle] or movie and watch them all flight long on this guy. The battery stays charged forever and the screen is big enough [yet small enough] to give me maximum viewing pleasure on the plane.
7. Amazon Basic Care Ibuprofen Tablets – No explanation necessary.
8. Apple AirPods Pro (2nd Generation) – The best of the best wireless headphones in my opinion. I stick these suckers in the minute I get on the plane, turn on my movie and can’t hear anything around me [including the loud engines].
9. Travel Cable Organizer Bag – While I have yet to use this personally, I just bought it thanks to Steph on the team for recommending it and will be using it from now on. It stores ALL of your cords in one tidy little organized spot and takes up virtually zero space in your bag!
10. The IceFlow Flip Straw Tumbler – I always take a reusable water cup to avoid having to pay for bottled water in the airport. Airports all tend to have water refilling stations these days and this IceFlow is my favorite for not spilling all over my bag!
11. Notepad – You never know when you’re going to get a bright idea while in the air [or need to make your Christmas shopping list, etc] so I always make sure to have one of our cute notepads in my travel bag with a pen at all times!
12. Etekcity Digital Hanging Luggage Scale – If you don’t own one of these, stop what you are doing right now and buy one. It is the best return on investment you will make when it comes to travel. For only $12 you can know ahead of time if your luggage is overweight saving you both the embarrassment of crawling all over the airport check-in floor and the money of shelling over an additional $100 due to being 8 lbs overweight [been there, done that]. Don’t forget: Toss it in your bag for the way home as well!
13. Neutrogena Hydro Boost Cleanser Facial Wipes – These are my favorite facial wipes that actually get all of the grime off my face and don’t leave my skin feeling dryer than a desert. They are so convenient to use when traveling and are super moisturizing which helps when you’re fighting off that airplane air!
14. Luka Duffel – Gosh, I love this bag. If you’re looking for a personal bag to take on the plane that can hold SO MUCH STUFF, this is it. It slides over our luggage, is easy to wipe down on the outside, has several different compartments [including a spot for your shoes], and so many little pouches to keep everything! This one is a winner [and yes, she fits underneath the seat]!
15. Terrazzo 2-Piece Luggage Set – Calpak luggage is the best I’ve ever used. I own two sets and it’s all I use – the wheels roll super easy and despite the constant banging around it suffers through, it still looks good. Bonus: Their different designs make it so easy to spot as you’re waiting at baggage claim!
16. Deep Sleep Pillow Spray – I always want wherever I am traveling to feel as cozy as possible and as much like home as I can make it. A pillow spray helps do just that. Just a few spritzes on any pillowcase and sheets and you’ll feel like you’re drifting off in your favorite spa, no matter where you’re laying your head down to sleep that night.
17. Packing Cubes 5-Piece Set – Another must. I’ve been using packing cubes for a few years now [see more about how I use them here]. They keep everything nicely organized so when I arrive to where I’m going I can put my clothes away in a matter of minutes!
18. Ginger Breath Mints – Last but not least, another “medicine” I like to keep in my arsenal, these are great for nausea or motion sickness. Travel days can take a toll so having these little guys on hand either for myself or to dish out to others has been a big lifesaver!
What do you always travel with?! See a few more of mine that made the list below!
Founder and creator of LIY, Erin turned her dream of a hobby blog into a full-time career which she now runs alongside the LIY team! When not in front of her computer screen [with a La Croix or wine in hand] or in front of a mirror taking mirror selfies, you can find Erin spending time on the water, cuddled up with her two pups and husband most likely watching the latest Shark Tank episode, or getting lost in an easy beach read.